Healthy gums and teeth is the goal of our team of professionals here. Brushing twice daily with a soft bristle brush, flossing at least once daily, and visiting us regularly will all go to help you keep a healthy mouth and a beautiful smile.
Aside from getting professional cleanings and X-rays as needed, there are ways of keeping your gums healthy at home.
Brushing Twice Daily
Proper oral care begins with brushing twice a day, at least. Some patients prefer to brush after each meal and that’s okay too. We won’t complain. There are some considerations in choosing your brush and technique.
- Choose a soft bristle toothbrush so you don’t damage your gums.
- Brush in the morning and before bedtime at minimum.
- Place the brush against the gums at a 45-degree angle and spend two to three minutes gently brushing your teeth and gums.
- Use back and forth, short strokes for the outer tooth surfaces.
- Make sure you brush the inside of your front teeth.
- Replace your toothbrush every three to four-months or if it looks like the bristles are worn.
- Let your toothbrush air dry between uses.
- Don’t apply too much pressure.
Flossing Once Daily
Flossing is an integral part of proper oral health care habits. This will help you remove food particles that are stuck between teeth and around the gum line. You can also opt for purchasing a water flosser that does a much better job of getting rid of any food residue in the back teeth.
Having a healthy diet is also important for healthy gums. Eating a balanced diet that includes fruits and vegetables on a regular basis also provides the nutrients, vitamins and minerals your teeth and gums need to be healthy. As you can see, there are some simple ways of keeping your gums healthy at home.