The aging process causes our bodies to change in many ways. One of the things that people notice as they get older is their gums begin to recede. The age at which this starts and the amount the gums raced varies.
One of the things that some people worry about is whether receding gums are painful. To answer that it is important to understand why the gums recede and what it means for a person’s oral health.
Understanding Receding Gums
While age is one of the causes for gums to recede, there are other factors that are also signs of a larger problem. Receding gums are often a sign of gum disease and are something that require the help of our dental professionals. Some of the causes of receding gums include:
- Brushing and Flossing – Brushing and flossing regularly are a part of good oral health practices. It is important to brush and floss, but it is not something that to overdo. Aggressive brushing and flossing can lead to receding gums and gum disease.
- Grinding – People that grind their teeth when they sleep are putting themselves at risk for gum disease and receding gums.
- Trauma – Blows to the teeth and gums can lead to problems that cause the gums to recede.
- Genetics – A family history of receding gums is another warning sign.
- Poor Hygiene – While it is important not to overdo brushing and flossing, it is also important to maintain good oral hygiene practices that include regular brushing and flossing. Not doing this could lead to the problem of receding gums.
If you look at the reasons for receding gums the answer to the question of are they painful becomes a little clearer. The answer is that even though the receding gums may not cause pain, the problems that led to receding gums are painful.
Pain is one of the symptoms that people experience when they brush and floss too aggressively or if they grind their teeth, have some type of trauma or do not practice good oral hygiene. Since all these things can cause receding gums, it means that it is easy to associate receding gums with pain.
For more information or if you worry about problems associated with receding gums come and visit or contact our dental professionals. We are here to help you.